Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation Empty Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation

Post  Ikon Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

Last month I received an invitation to sign-up for FREE installation of the fiber-termination point. They are giving away 15 meters free if sign up before 15 Jan 2010. Anyone else got this offer?

If their flyers were to be belived, if I miss this dateline, next time I will need to pay $220 to have this termination point install in my home. affraid

Wonder if we install now if there is any services yet for the Next Gen Broadband Network? Question
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation Empty Re: Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:50 am

By which service provider?

Back to top Go down

Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation Empty Re: Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation

Post  Ikon Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 pm

No service provider define as yet. From what I understand, OpenNet is a consortium of companies that set up the infrastructure. This is the first layer, where they will takeover the assets and rights to manhole, trunking and etc to lay the fiber optics cable. This consortium, consists of Nexus or something then they also have SPH, Singtel and Singapore Powers.

The second layer will be the vendor providing the hardware equipment such as hubs, router, switches and etc. This is a company wholly own by Starhub.

The final layer will be the RSP, can be anyone interested in providing service retail package. Anyone keen can contact the IDA. So my guess is that once we have the RSP, we should be able to get some broadband coming in soon.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Wow, chim... have not heard any of this yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:38 pm

No worries, they should be coming down to your place soon, once you see the Bangla digging up the road and pulling cables Laughing It's a national initiatives so every home will get theirs and in future your broadband speed will be between 100 Mb/s to 1GB/s, you can also watch TV and etc from this point. They started to install for home from June 2009, guess I'm one of those lucky(unlucky?) household that they started installing for. However if no RSP, means no connection just the termination then I gotta wait as well for the rest to catch up. Anyway according to their web, 60% of the homes will be equipped by the end of 2010.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 pm

woah...our downloading/downloading/uploading will be damn fast ehh...ermmm..
y not as it is free...nowadays not easy to get free lunch...but surely got "missing" "perks" inclusive?? pale
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm

hahaha...dis project is already island wide...think all the cables are already ready at most housing estates....hehehe.....already made appt with them to install at home liao...hehehe....its a gd thing so get it install for free now....next time if any of our 2 service providers singtel n starhub launch dis fibre optic network can easily subscribe with dem...hehehe....niwae take note....the price they qoute is expensive cause dis fibre optic cables n the jointing method is expensive....get it done bros cause its free now...hehehe....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 pm

starstruck96 wrote:woah...our downloading/downloading/uploading will be damn fast ehh...ermmm..
y not as it is free...nowadays not easy to get free lunch...but surely got "missing" "perks" inclusive?? pale

Before you get excited over nothing, let's just clarify this thingy. Nothing is for free, only the termination point if you arrange it when they approach you. If you approach them, it's $220.

Currently there isn't any RSP (Retail Service Provider) so the download/upload very fast but no content la. Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Looks like both Starhub and M1 came up with the fiber optic broadband packages already! Was surfing Starhub site, cost is quite Ex! Anyway they are looking for people for their " 3 months free trial". Click on that and somehow I'm selected for the free trial, will post more information once they have contacted me Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 pm

yes...do feed back...hehehe....wanna know how fast can it be...hehehehe
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 am

One thing for sure, Starhub as usal cock-up things easily. In their email they mentioned that they will contact me on the 20th, now it's already past 2 days still no contact scratch
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:28 am

Ikon wrote:One thing for sure, Starhub as usal cock-up things easily. In their email they mentioned that they will contact me on the 20th, now it's already past 2 days still no contact scratch

My bad, didn't read the email properly, the 20th mentioned is October. Open Net - Fiber Termnation Point Installation Icon_silent

ANyway they just call me today about the installation, ya nothing is for free as usual, the free trial comes with a catch. The fiber optic broad band package comes with 2 equipment, the first is the he connection box to the terminated fiber optic point and the other is the wireless gateway (modem/router) which starhub will T-loan during the trial period. They are asking for $53 plus ,for the installation of these equipment and upon the expiry of the trial period, another $12 for them to dismantle and take back the equipment. So I tell them to shove it la, no longer interested in the free trial.

Will let the others willing to fork out the money to "free trial" and I 'll wait for their feedback. If it's a faster alternative, I'll wait for any ISP offer with free installation or a better deal. Currently I have no problem with the existing broadband so no need to go and change something that is not spoilt.

Anyway the guy was asking why I decline the free trial, my reply is easy, as along time Starhub customer, supporting them with nroadband, mobile phone and cable TV subscription, I don't see why I need to pay for the installation, I don't mind going down to Starhub to collect the hardware and installing them myself, but according to them this is something new and their techie need to come down and do the installation, so just forget it.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 pm

free trail my arse....hahahaha.....wats the free thingy if have to pay....dismantle must pay sumore...hahaha...nonsense!!
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Just got a call from Starhub this morning, they are making appointment to install the fiberoptic broadband, this time around they will waive installation and removal charges. Guess I did the right thing by not agreeing to the charges in the first place, glad Iwas not gulliable the first time time and I get the totally free trial for 3 months!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 pm

so install already ?....hows the speed?...hehehe
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am

stoned wrote:so install already ?....hows the speed?...hehehe

Installation next Friday, 29 Oct... have to wait till then to know the performance of the new fiber optic broadband. I think performance wise should be the same, limitation would still be on your present equipment, no matter what for wired network it's still at 100MB/s and for wireless the current technology is still at 11 mb/s, depending on your router and network interface.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 pm

i agree with u la bro....no matter how fast ur speed is....if ur pc is still running on pentium 3 with windows 98....how fast can u go eh....lol....fast speed needs fast machine....the need for speed....lol....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm

so bro ikon.....hows the speed of optic fibre?....fast and furious?
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm

After comtemplating long and hard, I decided to take up the fibre optic plan. The difference is not much from what I'm paying for cable broadband, but the bandwidth is quite ..wide... Laughing

Initially when the technician set up the hardware, my wireless is open to the general public, however since I've decided to take up this plan, today I spend some time configuring my setup and set that to a secure network. Signal is always weak for wireless where my master bedroom is located, normally the status is "poor" despite using the "N" standard. To overcome this problem, I got myself an Aztech wireless repeater, plug it in oneof my electrical outlet, configure the sucker and now the signal strength is almost "excellent"!

The fibre optic package actually comes with 2 modem/router, the first is the gateway connecting to the f/o, and the second router/modem is connected to the first via an RJ45 cable. I also notice that the 2nd router has got a USB port, initially I did ask the technician what is that for and all he answered was that the USB port is disable. When I was configuring the router, I came across the USB page interface, and I discovered that I can actually access this port via FTP!

So what I did was to attached my portable USB harddisk drive to this port, use File Zilla from any of my PCs, and I should be able to access the harddisk's content via ftp! This is totally cool, an added bonus coz now I somewhat have a network file storage without having to fork extra $$$!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 pm

So brO...those aztech wireless repeater is the same one as wireless extender ehh...planning to get one..can it be setup with mio broadband?hw much u got for the repeater?
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 pm

starstruck96 wrote:So brO...those aztech wireless repeater is the same one as wireless extender ehh...planning to get one..can it be setup with mio broadband?hw much u got for the repeater?

Repeater and extender should be the same. It can be use with any wireless gateway. I got myself the WL556E. $99 from Challenger. If you are thinking of getting this, maybe you can wait as I will be upgrading my entire setup soon to incorporate home entertainment thus so I might be using some new equipment and maybe I may want to let go the repeater.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm

will be waiting for ur sale then....
upgrade home theatre system eh....nicE. Smile
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

starstruck96 wrote:will be waiting for ur sale then....
upgrade home theatre system eh....nicE. Smile

Not really but something to do with home entertainment and the availibility of the DLNA structure. Wink Will be freaking interesting to set this up, so hopefully I can get this all done up before CNY.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Yeay...so I can cum n audit ur surround sound system from the perimeter area of ur hse.hehe..
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Ehh, I'm not a sound man so the upgrade has nothing to do with the sound but more on the visual and the sharing of information thru the various portable devices. Key word is home entertainment and not home theater set up, neway I don't have a dedicated room to spare for such sound set-up. Have tried that before, everytime enjoying the surround sound, wife will come out and say to bring down the volume ~ "memekak" ~ so not going that way anymore Evil or Very Mad That's a big let down.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next