Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MA-Z4S Victra

3 posters

Go down

MA-Z4S Victra Empty MA-Z4S Victra

Post  aboh Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Today I got both my front tires replace.. My left front was balding due to alignment issues and therefore was advice to change both front instead of just one. I went to this shop at amk autopoint to get my alignment and tire replacement done. I didnt do any research and just wanna get the same falken z912 tires but the shop do not have any falken tires. Instead they recommend me maxxis tires MA-Z4S Victra. I have no idea what the sale person was talking about like 'A' and 'AA' traction. He mention that my falken has an A traction whereas the tire he recommends me has AA traction and mention it is better in gripping but has a short lifespan. So I got the 2 tires, rotation balance and wheel alignment at a price of $230. Any one here got any comment about the tire I just got? Click here for the tires specs and details

Last edited by aboh on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

MA-Z4S Victra Empty Re: MA-Z4S Victra

Post  Ikon Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:17 am

Maxxis if I'm not mistaken is provided as stock for Chevy in Malaysia for the newer models that roll out but not necessary this model of tire. Looking at the spec, this tire should be fantastic in the wet and takes corner well, but too bad bro you have phobia taking corners so all the good thing about this tire you will not enjoy Twisted Evil

On a more serious note, this is a V tread tire, excellent performance tire, but will wear out very fast and get very noisy soon. You didn't mentioned the profile that you are using, maybe you can put in that information as well. Perhaps you can also elaborate more about your alignment problem and how you get it rectified. As far as I know, Aveo front using the McPherson struct system, so no camber or toe to talk about and as in all McPherson struct if no camber how did they do your alignment? Maybe I got my info wrong so maybe you can tell us what the did for your alignment.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 am

both tyres cost @ 230$ including aligment...?ur maxxis tyres cost 100$ roughly per tyre? Neutral
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 am

if u change to ZR9 Victra lagi fierce..tink per tyre will cost a bomb..its for track usage probably..
anyway upZ for ur brand new tyres..asal tak change all 4? Laughing
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 am

I am on 195/50R15. They used computer alignment. The issue here is my car is pulling to the left and i have to use the steering wheel to drive straight. So end up my left wheel outer portion super bald. They position my car up "the ramp thing" click here for picture and the hydraulic ramp will go up and the computer will have readings. The mechanic will then go under the car with a tool and start adjusting "something" not sure what till the reading goes from red to green..
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 am

aboh wrote:Today I got both my front tires replace.. My left front was balding due to alignment issues and therefore was advice to change both front instead of just one. I went to this shop at amk autopoint to get my alignment and tire replacement done. I didnt do any research and just wanna get the same falken z912 tires but the shop do not have any falken tires. Instead they recommend me maxxis tires MA-Z4S Victra. I have no idea what the sale person was talking about like 'A' and 'AA' traction. He mention that my falken has an A traction whereas the tire he recommends me has AA traction and mention it is better in gripping but has a short lifespan. So I got the 2 tires, rotation balance and wheel alignment at a price of $230. Any one here got any comment about the tire I just got? Click here for the tires specs and details

Sorry all, I have hyperlink to the wrong tire specs. Had made the correction. Sorry once again.
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 am

aboh wrote:I am on 195/50R15. They used computer alignment. The issue here is my car is pulling to the left and i have to use the steering wheel to drive straight. So end up my left wheel outer portion super bald. They position my car up "the ramp thing" click here for picture and the hydraulic ramp will go up and the computer will have readings. The mechanic will then go under the car with a tool and start adjusting "something" not sure what till the reading goes from red to green..

There are two possibilities, like I mentioned Aveo use McPherson struct for the front suspension, the design of the suspension system is fixed, no camber and toe to adjust. Most of them after spring lowering will install the aftermarket camber kit to make adjustment to the alignment. If yours is still on stock, what did they do to adjust the alignment.. meaning to say if no camber kit how do they do the adjustment? The rear is acceptable because Aveo is using Torsion and Beam, that can be adjusted.

The disadvantage of a MacPherson suspension is that camber is not constant. You can however adjust the camber, and even the caster by installing an upper mount (at the top of the shock tower) which can be adjusted by sliding the upper mount of the strut. This is not typically possible with stock components, but you can add an aftermarket adjustment kit to perform this function. Depending on whether they alter only camber, or caster as well, they are known either as "camber plates" or "camber/caster plates", sometimes with the word "adjustment" thrown into the middle.
Source: Click Here

Keep monitoring your tire usage, if the car still pull to the left after some time, it's a good idea to have your left shock check. That could be due to a faulty shock which "eats" up your left tire bald and cause the car to pull to the left. My two cents, I'm no mechanic so I could wrong.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the advise..What happen is my rear left sometimes mount the kerb when I am turning... When this happen.. I will feel the left pulling effect which I have to encounter by holding the steering wheel. After the alignment done.. I feel my steering lighter cause the "pulling left force" is no longer there.. I use to have the reading printouts before and after wheel alignment previously done by SA.. but I have thrown it away. I will still monitor as what you may say do make sense.. Just checking if you let go of the steering wheel does your car still travel straight without moving to its right or left on its own?
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Yup, straight for me, but then again our roads are slanting to the left, after some distance the car will go in the direction of the slant. Road slanting to the left is part of water drainage, as all our longkangs are to the left, water will need to flow into there otherwise you get water ponding Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:19 pm

So that explains.. my car is going straight.. But after awhile it will move slowly go to the left.. The only difference I feel now is my steering wheel is lighter.. and hence I do not have to hold the steering to the right.. But the puzzle is there.. I do not what the mechanic did going under the front part of the car.. All i see the reading goes from red to green as he "adjusted" something.
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Can't help you there bro, as the article explained, there is nothing to adjust for MacPherson strut what he did or what software that he is using or what parts of the suspension system he adjusted only he can explained to you. Hopefully it solve your problem. Don't forget to do your tire rotation every 10K so that your tire will wear out evenly.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 am

Its been almost 6 years since I last "push" myself through corners.. I decided to put my new tires to its test.. Not very wise to test it on the streets though.. Corner after corner, bend after bends, my confidence came back till last saturday.. I think I push my ride too hard.. I was otw back from fetching my gf at her workplace when the unthinkable happen.. The bend is there waiting for me to slowdown. Usually by now I will brake and drop my speed but instead of braking, I release a bit the accelerator and step on the accelerator again steadily as I negotiate the bend. As I was overtaking vehicles after vehicles on the bend I heard my rear tires screeching. But I am not sure if the ride has lost its traction coz I am still able to control my ride..The sound of the screeching reminds me of my unfaithful accident that happened in 2004.. somehow.. I feel I accomplish something which I wanted to do years back but was hold back by fear.. Now I understand my ride better and how to react under such circumstances.. I provided a map below to illustrate the bend I took..
MA-Z4S Victra Untitled-1
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 am

aboh wrote:... I release a bit the accelerator and step on the accelerator again steadily as I negotiate the bend.

Bro you driving auto or manual Very Happy

In manual transmission, when you approach a bend, you drop down one gear for better traction and also engine braking. You control you ride with the clutch play and accelerator and brake when necessary.

Normally your method metioned should be for auto transmission, when you release the accelerator to drop gear but you still need to tap on the brake. Idea
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm

This is what my instructor at bbdc tot me.. Hahaha
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down