Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happen next?

+2
pussy_lover
Ikon
6 posters

Go down

What happen next? Empty What happen next?

Post  Ikon Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:16 am

The recent news of the man killed in a freak accident by a falling tree was quite sad.

What happen next? ST_16779371

My question, will the family be able to claim from the insurance? The insurance co. will certainly deem this as act of god. The car is a write off which means the insurance co. won't pay a single cents for that, on top of everything, the poor guy lost his live. The family will be saddle by the loss, the car payment will still need to be settle. Really freakish accident, out of so many cars and so many trees these two are fated to meet. Crying or Very sad
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

What happen next? Empty Re: What happen next?

Post  pussy_lover Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Bro, this happened very near to my office. In fact, i frequently pass through this road to my office. Can see the aftermath with the affected tree cut down. This happened on Tuesday. I wanted to go out for lunch but due the heavy rain decided to skip lunch. Understand the family is putting up claims for compensation as the victim has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. Whether they succeed or not is anybody's guess.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:18 pm

pussy_lover wrote:Bro, this happened very near to my office. In fact, i frequently pass through this road to my office. Can see the aftermath with the affected tree cut down. This happened on Tuesday. I wanted to go out for lunch but due the heavy rain decided to skip lunch. Understand the family is putting up claims for compensation as the victim has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. Whether they succeed or not is anybody's guess.

This kind of thing sometime make us open our eyes to those near misses incident, life is too short ,just grab and enjoy it while it lasted. The impact is normally on those that was left behind.

Anyway, NParks are saying that they will be compensating since they are insured. Don't really sound too right, if there is a payout from NParks insurer, their premium will soar next year and since they are afterall a government board, are we looking at some form of hike next year to make up for the shortfall? What goes round comes around Rolling Eyes
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:21 pm

perfect example dat accidents do happened....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 am

Another car got hit by a tree again! This time it's a Chevy Epica! In AMK... that area got lots of fallen tree, bro Mdzul better be careful and take care when it's raining and don't park under a tree! Better still this few days, take public transport to work cat and play it safe!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 am

Ikon wrote:Another car got hit by a tree again! This time it's a Chevy Epica! In AMK... that area got lots of fallen tree, bro Mdzul better be careful and take care when it's raining and don't park under a tree! Better still this few days, take public transport to work cat and play it safe!

Alamak bro.. where in AMK? I also drive through Upper Thomson Rd daily. There got lots of old trees. Always nervous driving in a heavy downpour esp the one with strong winds.. I also avoid parking in my open carpark as the old big tree there is always "shedding" it's branches during heavy rain.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 am

pussy_lover wrote:
Ikon wrote:Another car got hit by a tree again! This time it's a Chevy Epica! In AMK... that area got lots of fallen tree, bro Mdzul better be careful and take care when it's raining and don't park under a tree! Better still this few days, take public transport to work cat and play it safe!

Alamak bro.. where in AMK? I also drive through Upper Thomson Rd daily. There got lots of old trees. Always nervous driving in a heavy downpour esp the one with strong winds.. I also avoid parking in my open carpark as the old big tree there is always "shedding" it's branches during heavy rain.

What happen next? 01

Ang Mo Kio Street 22
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Ikon wrote:
pussy_lover wrote:Bro, this happened very near to my office. In fact, i frequently pass through this road to my office. Can see the aftermath with the affected tree cut down. This happened on Tuesday. I wanted to go out for lunch but due the heavy rain decided to skip lunch. Understand the family is putting up claims for compensation as the victim has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. Whether they succeed or not is anybody's guess.

This kind of thing sometime make us open our eyes to those near misses incident, life is too short ,just grab and enjoy it while it lasted. The impact is normally on those that was left behind.

Anyway, NParks are saying that they will be compensating since they are insured. Don't really sound too right, if there is a payout from NParks insurer, their premium will soar next year and since they are afterall a government board, are we looking at some form of hike next year to make up for the shortfall? What goes round comes around Rolling Eyes

duuno u guys remeber past few year there was a lady exercise at Bukit Batok Park that was killed when the tree fallen onto her? there was no NEWS whether Npark compensated or not.....

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:35 am

Errr...doubt on tt public transport ..a freak accident involving a malay man was killed during a bus journey a week ag oro.whos compensating .
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:56 am

The clue here is it happens when it is raining.. not sure if its the rain or the wind.. could be both though.. there are days where it hot but windy and no fallen trees. I assume its the rain water hitting hard plus wind that makes a tree fall.. Best to take care when there are strong winds and rain..
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:09 am

starstruck96 wrote:
Errr...doubt on tt public transport ..a freak accident involving a malay man was killed during a bus journey a week ag oro.whos compensating .

This is different. If you put up a billboard, it fell and hit someone the person or company that put up the billboard is liable. Even if the wind blow down the billboard. Before you put up a structure you must ensure the joints will withstand strong wind and etc, you must also maintain it. Manmade it's what you call structural integrity, where engineers will be responsible. In the case of the man in the bus, it was due to negligence and somebody will be made to pay for it. Otherwise the bus company will pay the compensation as all bus passengers are covered by insurance.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:20 am

aboh wrote:The clue here is it happens when it is raining.. not sure if its the rain or the wind.. could be both though.. there are days where it hot but windy and no fallen trees. I assume its the rain water hitting hard plus wind that makes a tree fall.. Best to take care when there are strong winds and rain..

Bro you forget about water when it's raining. Wink A paper when dry is strong, but when the paper is wet, it breaks easily. Same here dry soil is hardend not easy to dig, add water to that and see what happen. You add strong wind to the equation and you get a good candidate for fallen trees. Guess we can't have everything, maybe can consider using plastic trees for the green effect but at the same time can be light and safe, if fall when cause death maybe just some scratches, to play safer can always cement the plastic trees down and it won't fall Laughing

On a side note, some are saying that the Marina Barges are the cause of the recent flooding. The water from the canal flows to the sea, somehow or rather the system works once the water level reaches a certain level the flood gate will open to allow the water to flow to the sea, during the recent heavy rain the watre rises much faster then the floodgate pumping the water to the sea thus a bottle neck occur and the water flows back inland. bounce Hehe I'm no engineer or water expert, just some info to add more theory to the woes, this is better then the island sinking I guess!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 am

Captivian_Major wrote:
Ikon wrote:

duuno u guys remeber past few year there was a lady exercise at Bukit Batok Park that was killed when the tree fallen onto her? there was no NEWS whether Npark compensated or not.....

I think if NParks do compensate, they are doing it out of goodwill. They cannot be responsible for every tree that causes an accident. Anyway if you watch how a tree fall, it's like in slow motion... wonder why the lady never get out of it's way? Maybe she was taken by surprise.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:27 pm

don think they will compensate...act of god....not their fault...hahaha.....for the dead....i think they will just sponsor the funeral...not more den dat....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:40 am

May or may not, but NParks for that matter the government are compassioonate lot when it comes to something like this, the family cannnot expect millions in compensation, if they play their card right there will be compensation for sure.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:04 am

Ikon wrote:
aboh wrote:The clue here is it happens when it is raining.. not sure if its the rain or the wind.. could be both though.. there are days where it hot but windy and no fallen trees. I assume its the rain water hitting hard plus wind that makes a tree fall.. Best to take care when there are strong winds and rain..

Bro you forget about water when it's raining. Wink A paper when dry is strong, but when the paper is wet, it breaks easily. Same here dry soil is hardend not easy to dig, add water to that and see what happen. You add strong wind to the equation and you get a good candidate for fallen trees. Guess we can't have everything, maybe can consider using plastic trees for the green effect but at the same time can be light and safe, if fall when cause death maybe just some scratches, to play safer can always cement the plastic trees down and it won't fall Laughing

On a side note, some are saying that the Marina Barges are the cause of the recent flooding. The water from the canal flows to the sea, somehow or rather the system works once the water level reaches a certain level the flood gate will open to allow the water to flow to the sea, during the recent heavy rain the watre rises much faster then the floodgate pumping the water to the sea thus a bottle neck occur and the water flows back inland. bounce Hehe I'm no engineer or water expert, just some info to add more theory to the woes, this is better then the island sinking I guess!
I like ur theory..maybe its the marina dam thingy.nvr had heard tt flooding in spore this bad n frequent.
Have to regulate the timings more often to accomdate the rising flood n water tides.frequently
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:28 pm

i thought 1 of the ministers says...the barrage has nothing to do with the flood at orchard n bt timah?....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 pm

stoned wrote:i thought 1 of the ministers says...the barrage has nothing to do with the flood at orchard n bt timah?....

So they say, maybe this is one of the rumors I heard and not started from me hor, just to make it clear. Yah, anything can be said when something goes wrong.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

wen is the last time singapore experience this bad flooding ...
decades ago ryte if my memory not falling on me..way b4 marina barrage was even built.
floooding @ the worst..submerging shops, cars n uprooting trees...
what a combo man. cheers
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 pm

anyone notice....usual place for floods is bt timah area....thomson area....latest orchard area......n where is the barrage located?....central area ever kena flood for the last 10 or 20 yrs ago?....never heard of dat lei....hehehehe....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm

stoned wrote:anyone notice....usual place for floods is bt timah area....thomson area....latest orchard area......n where is the barrage located?....central area ever kena flood for the last 10 or 20 yrs ago?....never heard of dat lei....hehehehe....

Meaning what? You not careful today Clementi also flood. lol. !
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Ikon wrote:
stoned wrote:anyone notice....usual place for floods is bt timah area....thomson area....latest orchard area......n where is the barrage located?....central area ever kena flood for the last 10 or 20 yrs ago?....never heard of dat lei....hehehehe....

Meaning what? You not careful today Clementi also flood. lol. !

so far no have lei today...hehehe....saw a flood alert from NEA on yahoo website today.....hehehe....so got flood or not eh today?...hehehe
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Basically all the drains, canal water will channel to the central about two third of it...and alot of new building coming up and thus cause the flow of the water through the drain heavliy....

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm

What to do, we need to construct to grow Very Happy
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 am

basically they need to do more widening of drains or even construct underground canal drains..

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum