Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC repair Help

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PC repair Help Empty PC repair Help

Post  starstruck96 Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:48 am

any kind souls to rectify my PC..
it has giving me proB since i lock my wifi
doesnt reli connects with Wifi thingy...but evry time i on my PC...the CPU/fanS will run @ full SPEED.
the thing is...the LCd monitor says 'no signal'
Ive tried unplugging my ram...adjusting everything that is connected
dun noe which part i touch...sometime it boots up ...evrything normal..
other days it will return to the same prOB again..frustated @ times
b4 this...nuthing of sort ever happen..
will IT personnels provide advice n instructions for my 4 yr old PC system.
im on acer t620 year 2005 Smile
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

PC repair Help Empty Re: PC repair Help

Post  Ikon Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:19 am

Time to buy a new one la...
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 am

Up lorry liao lah.....

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

Bro when you boot up, turn on your speakers. See if there are sounds coming like windows startup

1) First you might want to check your cables if its connected properly to the ouput of ur graphic card behind the cpu tower. Make sure the screws are secured.

2) If its connected and still giving you problem, you might want to check if its d monitor cables that is giving you problem.

3) Try to find out if ur system manage to boot up and start windows. If it does, its not your ram problem.

4) There are many possibilities but try this out 1st..
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm

aboh wrote:Bro when you boot up, turn on your speakers. See if there are sounds coming like windows startup

1) First you might want to check your cables if its connected properly to the ouput of ur graphic card behind the cpu tower. Make sure the screws are secured.

2) If its connected and still giving you problem, you might want to check if its d monitor cables that is giving you problem.

3) Try to find out if ur system manage to boot up and start windows. If it does, its not your ram problem.

no 3 suits the probs most..@times wen i disturb the position of ram...it will boot up n start the windows..
after which it will run say about 15-20 mins b4 it shuts down...giving the CPU fan running @ full speed with no graphics on my LCD..LCD will prompt ''NO SIGNAL''
comeX did not even accept my CPU sytem. Crying or Very sad
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:55 pm

like bro bow n bro dex says....get a new 1...hahaha....maybe can ask for a lappy for hantaran(wedding gift) from ur wifey to be....hahahaha
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 am

starstruck96 wrote:
aboh wrote:Bro when you boot up, turn on your speakers. See if there are sounds coming like windows startup

no 3 suits the probs most..@times wen i disturb the position of ram...it will boot up n start the windows..
after which it will run say about 15-20 mins b4 it shuts down...giving the CPU fan running @ full speed with no graphics on my LCD..LCD will prompt ''NO SIGNAL''
comeX did not even accept my CPU sytem. Crying or Very sad

Ram seldom fails.. It is build to last up to 5 years or even more.. I still doubt its you ram that is giving you problem.. Coz if the ram fails it fails totally not like "sometime ok sometime not" The thing dat i suspect that giving you this problem is called motherboard..

If your motherboard needs replacement, I suggest you get a new system already..

A new mobo would cost ard $85 (supports ddr2 RAM)

1gb DDR2 ram ($29)

A new cpu tower is recommended comes with a psu. ($50 - $90)

A processor core 2 duo.. if tight budget den get urself a dual core

Since a replacement of mobo is involve, you need a clean installation of new OS( XP ard $130)

Just a suggestion might be wrong.

The best is spend $30 send ur pc for a proper troubleshooting

Last edited by aboh on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:20 am

Bro you seem to know a lot on computers..at least much much more than me, coz I'm a certified computer idiot! This is good, now we know who to refer to for those minor irritating computer problems.. You've just been arrowed the mod for the soon-to-be introduced IT related forum page.. Well done! Think you guys would want to join me in congratulating bro aboh on his soon-to-be announced new appt. cheers cheers

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:46 am

pussy_lover wrote:Bro you seem to know a lot on computers..at least much much more than me, coz I'm a certified computer idiot! This is good, now we know who to refer to for those minor irritating computer problems.. You've just been arrowed the mod for the soon-to-be introduced IT related forum page.. Well done! Think you guys would want to join me in congratulating bro aboh on his soon-to-be announced new appt. cheers cheers

Computer idiot only mah? I tot all this while you are a TOTAL IDIOT? Laughing Hahaha jangan marah bulan baik hari baik,..... cat meow!!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 am

pussy_lover wrote:Bro you seem to know a lot on computers..at least much much more than me, coz I'm a certified computer idiot! This is good, now we know who to refer to for those minor irritating computer problems.. You've just been arrowed the mod for the soon-to-be introduced IT related forum page.. Well done! Think you guys would want to join me in congratulating bro aboh on his soon-to-be announced new appt. cheers cheers

I am just sharing every possible knowledge and understanding I have.. Smile
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:32 pm

stoned wrote:like bro bow n bro dex says....get a new 1...hahaha....maybe can ask for a lappy for hantaran(wedding gift) from ur wifey to be....hahahaha
laptop got already...
no nid to get from wife...maybe get new bike or car from wife..hahaha Razz
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:41 pm

starstruck96 wrote:
stoned wrote:like bro bow n bro dex says....get a new 1...hahaha....maybe can ask for a lappy for hantaran(wedding gift) from ur wifey to be....hahahaha
laptop got already...
no nid to get from wife...maybe get new bike or car from wife..hahaha Razz

wah...gd idea also eh...hehehe....will wait n see on ur big day eh...hehehe....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm

brO abOh...where do i send for troubleshooting of my partial spoilt pc/cpu?u got places to recommend??
i dun want to be the new EDISON CHEN lor....i cant even extract my music n pics n videos siahh...hope u recomend me to a trustworth place lor... Wink cheers
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Abang I give you my two cents:-

Computers there can only be two kind of problem, either hardware or software.

You mentioned that this trouble start only after you "lock" your router. The "locking" was done on your router and not your PC, so I don't really see a connection.

You also mention that your problem is "on and off", seem to be okay after you rattle the ram. Two possibilities, you either have a faulty ram or the ram slot is loose. If it's the later, you can remove the ram and clean the slot to troubleshoot. You may even squirt a little of WD 40. It might work, it might not.

A more accurate form of troubleshooting is to use a diagnostic tool. This is a little device that you plug into your PCI slot, this device will give you the trouble code from the bios level. Although this device is available, but not many shop use it.

My advice, when the next time you successfully boot-up, transfer all your files to an external hard disk.

I can more or less tell you what the shop will do, they will replace the ram to test, if the trouble go away, they will tell you ram problem, if it doesn't go away, they will attempt to reformat your hard disk and reinstall the OS. If that don't work they will trouble shoot your video card, if so happen yours is a build in type, they will use an external card to try. If that fails as well, then they will tell you it's the motherboard.

Your PC is Acer, not so bad can still use any motherboard. This will cost you anywhere between $120 to $200. One thing for sure, if you are using WinXP, they will need to reformat as the the profile changes, all your drivers will need to be reinstall. Either way your data is still gone.

Another fact, your PC is about 5 years old, so you are still on some of the older hardware. If you are going to spend $200 to get your PC back to running pace, for a few hundred more mullahs, you get a new PC and new hardware. The difference you can look at are quad processors, SATA hard drive, DDR2 rams and etc.

It like having a vintage car, you can restore it but due to the age, you can't use it as much as like. Your other option is rather than restoring, you can opt for a new sports car, faster and with much more power ~ your choice, your preference ~

If you decide to buy a new PC, show me the receipt and I refund you 2 cents! I love you
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm

wooolahhhh....new PC??ermmm...den my old PC wasted liao...trade in price oso not so much...
thinking of DiY..but a long shot from it..
have to buy manually individual parts from SLS..
erghh....nvmd...still can use my LAPPie.. Cool
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:16 am

I think core 2 duo is good enough but of coz the latest now is the quad core.. Now mobo can support up to 8gb of ddr2 ram... All depends how u want your system to be.. For normal usage or gaming.. Your acers part most are useless now.. Your acer graphic card if its not onboard than its on agp slots and new mobo are now on pci e slots.. get a mobo that has an onboard graphic so u dun have to get a new graphic card and u can save your $$ to get a better processor. You need to get a new processor coz most new mobo dosent support pentium 3 or 4 anymore.. Only your hdd and optical drive can be save.. Other than that most of the hardware are useless.. dun try to save your psu coz its more than 5 years and I recommend a change.. If it blows on ur new system.. Thats it! It will burn your hardware.. mobo, ram, processor ect.. The choice is urs..
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 am

Bro.. If you want to repair.. Im not sure if they have the parts.. What if ur mobo that is spoilt? New mobo dosent support old hardwares which ur acer are now using.. I strongly advice a new system.. Comes with warranty somemore.. As for erasing of ur hardisk.. I heard there are software out there that meets DOD standards but dun ask me where to get it.. But there are other softwares as good as those that meets DOD standards.. For more info on erasing your hdd, you may want to read this: http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62053673,00.htm
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 am

I though the lastest is the I-series with 8 processor? scratch
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:45 am

That is correct.. cheers
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:53 am

Aboh, your technical jargon making me hungry... Rolling Eyes

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:53 pm

alamak...wat MOBO siahh....all other terms i can digest.. Very Happy
maybe after raye...wen u r free..i plug out the whole system n bring to u to diagnose brO AbOh.u n i neighbours anyway... What a Face Razz
maybe can upgrade using existing parts..
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm

starstruck96 wrote:alamak...wat MOBO siahh....all other terms i can digest.. Very Happy
maybe after raye...wen u r free..i plug out the whole system n bring to u to diagnose brO AbOh.u n i neighbours anyway... What a Face Razz
maybe can upgrade using existing parts..

Heheheh .............Good idea since we already have resident tekkie!!

Bro, MOBO is back of a song lyrics la....... drunken Hey mobo!! What a Face

Just kidding, MOBO is short for motherboard... so if there is such thing as father board then you get " FABO ", brother board will be "BOBO" and sister baord will be be "SABO".... very nice family ya cheers
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:11 am

hahaha...wat a family..
motherboard ehh..ok..
noted..
can buy motherboard to fix in my CPU meh...
all MOBO roughly the same size arhh..??
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 am

starstruck96 wrote:hahaha...wat a family..
motherboard ehh..ok..
noted..
can buy motherboard to fix in my CPU meh...
all MOBO roughly the same size arhh..??

Mobo don't come in the same size. You have the standard size, you also have the micro and mini size. All motherboard depend on the chip that drive them, you will need to get a chipset that support your current CPU. Some chipset are backward compliant and also different CPU will sit on the board differently.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:08 am

If bro bow explanation is too technical for you, here is an end user point of explanation. Choosing of mobo depends what type of processor a.k.a cpu u want to go for. There is the Intel and AMD processors. Im not familiar with AMD processors.. Once you decide on the type of processor you want to get, than we can choose the mobo. Example AMD processors cannot sit on mobo that is design for Intel processor and vice versa. I doubt theres anymore mobo currently that can support your "obselete" functioning hardware. Except for your hdd and optical drives. In SLS example, they sell in bundle.. means CPU and MOBO together.
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next