Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My GPS toy

5 posters

Go down

My GPS toy Empty My GPS toy

Post  pussy_lover Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:07 pm

It's been almost 3 months since i got my new GPS toy and must say have been satisfied with it so far. To refresh, i bought a Papago R5800 GPS end Sept. It was basically bought out of boredom, having read through the various reviews of popular GPS models available. This is the Eastgear warranty model - suggest if you ever need a GPS get one with Eastgear warranty. The Papago R5800 comes with pre-installed SLA Singapore map and the Malfree map of Singapore, East and West Malaysia. I found that these 2 maps are adequate and currently updates are free for the Eastgear warranty models. Another thing i find convenient is that you can download Malfree maps free and updates are normally up every month. This is really useful. In addition the MFM maps are pretty accurate. The mapping community at MFM are friendly and always willing to help. I found more about my GPS model in the forum. Even if Eastgear do not provide for Free updates of the SLA map anymore, i found the MFM map just as good. Has a chance to test it out last weekend when i had to make a day trip to KL. It was useful and brought me to my destination safely. I would recommend this GPS model to anyone looking for a feature rich GPS but not wanting to pay the moon for it. As it is, some even mentioned it's better than Garmin but then to each his own. Please note that R5800 do not have bluetooth or tramsmitter functions.
Please note i do not represent nor do i have any vested interest whatsoever in the said GPS unit. This is just my personal feedback that i'm sharing...Cheers

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

My GPS toy Empty Re: My GPS toy

Post  starstruck96 Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:13 pm

does brand reli matters in GPS...
wat if its taiwan or china made..
does SLA,MAPKING etc oso plays a part in using the GPS..
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm

starstruck96 wrote:does brand reli matters in GPS...

There are two parts when buying a GPS. First is the receiver itself and the processor that you use, and second is the software and the maps. That's just like buying a PC. The current technology is using , SIRF III receiver. This receiver will trainangulate your present location by relying on 12 satellite that orbit the earth, minimally you will need at least 3 satellite to pin point location. Therefore when you purchase, you must check the manufacturer claim base on the accuracy, if you can get within 10 meters, that's very good enough whereas for military requirement it should be on the dot accuracy.

Software generally use now should be WinCe or Mobile Win 6. As in any software you will need processor, there are a few of them out there but the most popular are those by Samsung and the speed is up to 550 MHz. This software is just the OS, then you will have the actual GPS (Mapping) Software that will work with the receiver. How good or bad the GPS is highly dependent on the mapping software, such as how fast it will do a recalculation, how detail are the address and how you perform search for location and etc.

After sales, such as how regular they update the information and map is also crucial. There are free maps out there such as Malsing or Malfree, but if you are looking at data intregity these maps fall short of the expectation, not that I'm saying it's not good or accurate. Simply said, this map is updated by the user themselves, so if someone feel like they want to sabo, they can always update the wrong information and sent everyone on a wild goose chase. So when you use such map, just exercise extra caution and if you go on a slightly longer route then usual, don't go blaming the map or the mapper.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Well explained by bro BoW.. Maps do play a part but you'll also need a GPS device that can read those maps. Haven't tried any other maps in my GPS unit other than the ones i mentioned in the first post.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:08 am

BoW wrote:

There are two parts when buying a GPS. First is the receiver itself and the processor that you use, and second is the software and the maps. That's just like buying a PC. The current technology is using , SIRF III receiver. This receiver will trainangulate your present location by relying on 12 satellite that orbit the earth, minimally you will need at least 3 satellite to pin point location. Therefore when you purchase, you must check the manufacturer claim base on the accuracy, if you can get within 10 meters, that's very good enough whereas for military requirement it should be on the dot accuracy.

Software generally use now should be WinCe or Mobile Win 6. As in any software you will need processor, there are a few of them out there but the most popular are those by Samsung and the speed is up to 550 MHz. This software is just the OS, then you will have the actual GPS (Mapping) Software that will work with the receiver. How good or bad the GPS is highly dependent on the mapping software, such as how fast it will do a recalculation, how detail are the address and how you perform search for location and etc.

After sales, such as how regular they update the information and map is also crucial. There are free maps out there such as Malsing or Malfree, but if you are looking at data intregity these maps fall short of the expectation, not that I'm saying it's not good or accurate. Simply said, this map is updated by the user themselves, so if someone feel like they want to sabo, they can always update the wrong information and sent everyone on a wild goose chase. So when you use such map, just exercise extra caution and if you go on a slightly longer route then usual, don't go blaming the map or the mapper.

Totally agree with u bro. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks to bro pl for borrowing his gps over the weekend. Now, I got myself a gps for myself. Holux Gpsmile E62. Finally landed with this after I screw up most of the display set (holux) with the same error as bro pl is facing. The model that I got did not screw up. For those getting Holux or Papago gps, my advice is to set a route to Johor Bahru Checkpoint CIQ as a destination. Did that on the Holux and it hang with an error msg!! Shop thank me for pointing out. No discount though! Evil or Very Mad
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:02 pm

aboh wrote:Thanks to bro pl for borrowing his gps over the weekend. Now, I got myself a gps for myself. Holux Gpsmile E62. Finally landed with this after I screw up most of the display set (holux) with the same error as bro pl is facing. The model that I got did not screw up. For those getting Holux or Papago gps, my advice is to set a route to Johor Bahru Checkpoint CIQ as a destination. Did that on the Holux and it hang with an error msg!! Shop thank me for pointing out. No discount though! Evil or Very Mad

So bro, now you got yourself a new toy. Hope you're enjoying it! Brought my set to Eastgear regarding the hang issue and got it rectified. They even updated all my maps (SLA and the Mapfree ones) and include a new Indonesian map.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm

pussy_lover wrote:
aboh wrote:Thanks to bro pl for borrowing his gps over the weekend. Now, I got myself a gps for myself. Holux Gpsmile E62. Finally landed with this after I screw up most of the display set (holux) with the same error as bro pl is facing. The model that I got did not screw up. For those getting Holux or Papago gps, my advice is to set a route to Johor Bahru Checkpoint CIQ as a destination. Did that on the Holux and it hang with an error msg!! Shop thank me for pointing out. No discount though! Evil or Very Mad

So bro, now you got yourself a new toy. Hope you're enjoying it! Brought my set to Eastgear regarding the hang issue and got it rectified. They even updated all my maps (SLA and the Mapfree ones) and include a new Indonesian map.

Wah cool, now we can drive to Jakarta! cheers Bro PL can lead the convoy tongue
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm

But bro, I haven't tried the Jkt map yet. Guess have to make a trip there to test it out. Just the excuse i need.. lol!

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 am

pussy_lover wrote:But bro, I haven't tried the Jkt map yet. Guess have to make a trip there to test it out. Just the excuse i need.. lol!

As driver or navigator? Laughing In Jkt, I rather pay people money to drive then doing it myself, it's a waste of time and patience for sure.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 am

BoW wrote:
pussy_lover wrote:But bro, I haven't tried the Jkt map yet. Guess have to make a trip there to test it out. Just the excuse i need.. lol!

As driver or navigator? Laughing In Jkt, I rather pay people money to drive then doing it myself, it's a waste of time and patience for sure.

If i ever make the trip there soon, of course, will be driven around. Can still check GPS as a hand held device. But no plans to go in the near future...

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 am

At last there's a saviour,heheehe!!! Very Happy Very Happy ,here a someone with the jkt gps map.Hope there will be a kind hearted ppl who wil assist around jkt peacefully instead always turning into wrong ally Suspect lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am

Okay what, shortcut la.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 am

jus got my GPS before last Xmas from SPC, so far good good..

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:42 pm

SPC selling what brand of GPS?
HOLUX OSO???

brO abOh...ur HoLUX GPS has 5" screen ones? tongue
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  aboh Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:01 pm

got the 5" ones.. yesterday waited for 15mins to locate a satellite but no success.. then i move to a more open area then ok..
aboh
aboh
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Not surprising, my GPS will need at least a full 5 minutes to start up before I get a good enough satellite signal if its left overnight. However on a stop and go situation, such as driving from point A, turn off the GPS/switch off the engine, go makan 1 or 2 hours, come back and start again the GPS takes less than30 secs. to capture the satellite signal again.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:16 pm

starstruck96 wrote:SPC selling what brand of GPS?
HOLUX OSO???

Think no more offer already. SPC was selling the Holux 62e for $258. This is the Eastgear warranty set. Even Eastgear was selling at more expensive price. This is the slim 5" screen type.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I think he miss the boat already since there is no more offer! But it's okay, they are bound to offer somemore when they come up with a new model or something like dat!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 pm

aboh wrote:got the 5" ones.. yesterday waited for 15mins to locate a satellite but no success.. then i move to a more open area then ok..

For me cold start takes about 2-3 minutes. I find that it's much faster to get satellite fix if you're stationary and in open car park. Normally, i would set up gps and wait for satellite fix before moving off.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Is it the processor that slowEd start up ? Question
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm

starstruck96 wrote:Is it the processor that slowEd start up ? Question

GPS Receiver.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:45 pm

in/under buildings are the blind spots for GPS receiver to receive n send signal to the satelite.its a common sense thingy ler.mcm ur hp signal oso mah...sometimes in covered places like lifts n staircases,the signal dropped to a BAR. Cool Idea
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

pussy_lover wrote:
starstruck96 wrote:SPC selling what brand of GPS?
HOLUX OSO???

Think no more offer already. SPC was selling the Holux 62e for $258. This is the Eastgear warranty set. Even Eastgear was selling at more expensive price. This is the slim 5" screen type.

ya lar bro starstruck96 miss the boat...Razz

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 pm

its ok lar brO...that thing is more like a nid thing to me.not a muz.
my GPS is in my brain liao...s'pore roads are easily assesible by all major Expressways.
route to KL ...oso one way...reach KL..i go into back lanes to get to the normally i stay Hotels.
except few unseen circumstances ...maybe i MAY buy a GPS...second hands ones are easily available over the GOOGLE network.still in good condisH n cheaper than retail ones.

Or maybe can LOAN from the BRoS here... cheers lol!
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum