Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing tourist in Singapore

4 posters

Go down

Playing tourist in Singapore Empty Playing tourist in Singapore

Post  Ikon Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 am

This is really TCSS session, will be a long posting and as usual when I do that, nobody bothers reading it, but hopefully if some of you who do read this, hope you enjoy it.

I start off about the ironical part of being a Singaporean, and I can bet some tourist have been to some places that most of us, having been living here for forever have yet to visit it!

I so did have the chance to play tourist over the weekend, and now I know why we as Singaporean have not visited some of the places of interest here. The main reason would be COST! I did this almost for free, since a family member ended up with a special card that got us on some of the attraction for free.

Started off last Sunday on the Singapore Flyer, $30 per person and for the six of us it would have cost $180. We went at night after it rained, so view was not that good as most of the glass capsule are fogged up, yeah what can I say...anyway we copied same wheel as in UK but we are in the record book for being 30m higher than the one in London.

Next was last Friday, 5 of us took a river cruise at night from Clarke Quay. About half an hour ride, which would cost about $20 per pax and that would have come to around $100. Nice night to be out on the river, didn't take any photo because I brought my camera along but left the SD card at home Crying or Very sad So missed out the night scene, but the experience was really great. The guide on the Hippo River cruise btw is a Phillipino and he was referring to Singapore as "my" country.

Total cost so far $280 for two activities.

The following Saturday, we were off to Snow City in Jurong...it was raining cats and dogs when we reach the place around noon time, visibility was almost zero. Admission cost is $35 per pax and the 6 of us would have cost $210, the cost include jacket and boots, additional cost for gloves and socks. No camera allowed so they take photos of you and hand you tickets and sell you the photos later which cost $30 or so for a couple of shots. This is another experience for those who have not had the opportunity of cold weather and snow... really small place that you can enjoy the atmosphere for half an hour and that it. The only enjoyable thing beside the coldness is the ice slide...otherwise on a VERY hot day, I stay in a shopping center rather than paying $35 to cool down.

Total cost for 3 attractions is $490

Next we were off to Sentosa, we decided to go via cable car. Went up Mt. Faber the return trip would be $12.00 per pax ($11.90) so the 6 of us would cost $72, this include the entrance fee to Sentosa I guess, as usual this is not the first time I'm on the cable car but the first after they refurbished it with the new cars. View was great.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1532

Total cost for 4 attraction $562

Once we got on to Sentosa, it's a matter of choosing what we wanna do and the first thing we did was to visit the Butterfly Park and Insect Kingdom. Butterflies here sure are friendly, no need to chase them around to take pictures Very Happy Very Happy and the admission cost is $16 per pax. Not cheap but if you like butterflies and insect, it's worth it otherwise Cool

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1539

Total cost is $658

We then queue up for some 4D Magix, mind you not the kind you line up at 7-11 or Singapore Pool outlet, this is 4-D movie..view and feel the movie. We watch the Pirates which is about 20 mins screen time with those 3-D glasses and the fourth dimension would be the special effect of the cinema, the seats moves and blow cold air on your necks and swipe your legs and squirt water on you for the ultimate experience in movie watching! It was fun since it's free, otherwise it cost $18 per pax.

Total cost for 7 experience $766

Next is the Skyline Luge, yeah this is a must. This consist of the Luge and the Sky ride, something like you Ski lift, sitting on an open chair. The package is only for the sky ride which is free to us but we need to pay $7.90 for the Luge. A family package for 8 cost $49 and the you are entitle to 8 rides, since there are 6 of us, 2 of the kids get to go twice on the Luge, this one we have to pay for it, no free ride.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1565

This is worth paying for it!

Total cost for attraction 8 and 9 is $815

Next on the agenda would be the Segway ride, interesting contraption that moves with your body literally. To make it go forward you have to lean and to turn you need to just bend and twist you knee in the direction where you are heading, and if you are brave enough you can go quite fast. The fun ride over a small course which would last you less than 10 minutes to include instruction cost you $12 per pax. Four of us decided to give this a try.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1602

Total cost so far is $863

Our final attraction at Sentosa was the Underwater sea world, we manage to catch the Dolphin show, nothing to crow about but the Underwater display is fantastic. The cost per pax is $25.90. Our free access allows only 5 paxs and the 6th have to pay.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1617

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1645

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1648

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1651

This is costly, on the 11th attraction the total cost is $1019

We got it call it quits after the Underwater World if we want to catch the cable car back to main island before the last call. Otherwise we will need to walk all the way back up to Mt Faber since the car is parked up there. Here are some of the aerial night scene of Sentosa.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1670

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1672

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1674

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1677

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1678

We are done for the day but we have plan for the next day....

So we start the Sunday early, we only have two more things to do and the first is to take the DUCK ride. Unfortunately the early trip was fully booked and we had to wait for the next one which is at 11.30 am. The cost is $30 per pax for a 60 mins ride around the city area and a splash in the Kallang river and up to the Singapore River on a 1960's US amphibious vehicle use in the Vietnam wars. It's a new experience as you see the city skyline from a different perspective.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1701

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1710

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1712

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1715

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1721

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1728

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1732

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1747

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1751

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1758

Fun is in the water, the vehicle was jerky and bone shattering on land. Hey we had fun, people were waving at us, pretty strange but cool!

The total cost so far is $1199.

The final fun we had was at Lilli Putt in East Coast, indoor miniture golf! 18 holes of some of the attractions that I have visited over the weekend! The cost is $20 per pax. Sock is a must, and if you don't mind interacting with kids, this can be quite fun if you are in a group like us.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1774

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1779

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1781

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1784

The overall cost for maybe 20% or 30% of the attractions in Singapore comes to a grand total of $1319 for a family of six. That's a lot of money that I don't have to pay, and it's no wonder I sit at home most of the weekends!

I have also exclude 2 additional attractions that I visited the previous weekend, which is the National Museum and and Asian Civilisation Museum, which was free entry on the Sunday that we visited it. Overall there are further saving if you plan the trip properly and utilize package and what not.

Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Playing tourist in Singapore Empty Re: Playing tourist in Singapore

Post  pussy_lover Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:07 pm

COST!! That's exactly why most of us don't venture to the tourist spots you went. If i have the opportunity like you, I will definitely take advantage. Always wanted to go on that Duck ride but find it too costly. Heck I've not been to most of the attractions you went. Last on Sentosa was eons ago. Lucky you..!!!

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:45 pm

It was one of those thingy, opportunity arise so strike it while it's still hot! Cost is the main thing, I have yet to include the "other" cost ~ petrol, parking and food Laughing

On parking alone, over the weekend I think I might have forked out more than $20. Let see if I can list the parking charges:-

Singapore Flyer = $5.31 X 2 (second time was for the DuWk tours on a different day)
Hippo River boat cruise = $ 3 ++ ( parked at Clarke Quay)
Singapore National Muesuem $ 5 ++
Asian Civilization Muesuem = $ 3 ++ ( parked at High Street Center)
Cable Car = Free parking (illegal parking in the Coach Bay Very Happy )
Snow City = Free Parking
Lilli Putt = $ 3 ++

Hmmm whereas did I park?
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm

u forgot east coast parking..the lilliputt centre..
anyway its a nice family trip u had there....kudos/salute for u being the head of family to bring everyone out for family event...
u noe kids nowadays....once they reach tt "teenage/rebellious" state...none family events will be attended...
i hope mine will be as good as yours.. Very Happy
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

starstruck96 wrote:u forgot east coast parking..the lilliputt centre..
anyway its a nice family trip u had there....kudos/salute for u being the head of family to bring everyone out for family event...
u noe kids nowadays....once they reach tt "teenage/rebellious" state...none family events will be attended...
i hope mine will be as good as yours.. Very Happy

It actually it's not so much me that want to bring them but rather they need a "driver" to bring them around. Laughing Anyway we went for the experience more than anything else and since we only need to forked a few $$$, it's okay la, if you ask me to pay in full, sorry la...I rather follow bro Pussy_Lover go hunt for new rims Laughing

BTW East Coast = Lilli Putt, last item on the entry.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Hunt for new 15" rim with Bro Mdzul? ?dun entice him lor...everything now on budget.so maybe its his last option b4 he hunt for a new car plak...new exora will fit him or u.nice car with rough idling engine.
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 pm

starstruck96 wrote:Hunt for new 15" rim with Bro Mdzul? ?dun entice him lor...everything now on budget.so maybe its his last option b4 he hunt for a new car plak...new exora will fit him or u.nice car with rough idling engine.

Would be nice to own a MPV, but I think I give it a pass now.... maybe in 5 years time when my kids are driving or riding their own vehicle, I might just look for a Miata or any other 2 seater, even a Copen cheers
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 am

Just to share something that caught my eye while playing the tourist.

Playing tourist in Singapore IMGP1457

See if you guys can catch it as well Wink You may need to click on the image to get a better view and also know how to read.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Guess nobody catch on... Surprised

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vgsg.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I read the thng but catch no balls..

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:53 pm

pussy_lover wrote:I read the thng but catch no balls..

Aiyoh... better get new specs lor! The first sentence, see how they spell "Tampines", and you catch more than balls la! Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Ikon wrote:

Aiyoh... better get new specs lor! The first sentence, see how they spell "Tampines", and you catch more than balls la! Laughing

Saw that but thought nothing of it as 'Tampenis" has various spelling permutations. Was looking more at some significant "historical event". Obviously, was looking at the wrong thing.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 am

pussy_lover wrote:
Ikon wrote:

Saw that but thought nothing of it as 'Tampenis" has various spelling permutations. Was looking more at some significant "historical event". Obviously, was looking at the wrong thing.

As usual la Cool historically there is a word referring to the male sexual organ in the origin of the name Tampines. Looking at it which is the more accurate way to say it? TAM - PINES ( the English way of say it, PINES will be as in the PINE tree, pineapples etc) whereas TAM - PENIS sounds about right?
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down