Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IBM ThinkPAd Laptop T60

3 posters

Go down

IBM ThinkPAd Laptop T60 Empty Re: IBM ThinkPAd Laptop T60

Post  starstruck96 Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

juz got a parting gift from my previous department...
IBM ThinkPad Laptop.T60
super heavy 15" screen...durable i think...
all the drivers such as fingerprint screen,webcam are all expired..upon using this Drive detective software...no office software..no battery.using power cord only.
think of upgrading it....
any help? Cool
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

IBM ThinkPAd Laptop T60 Empty IBM ThinkPAd Laptop T60

Post  Ikon Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 pm

starstruck96 wrote:juz got a parting gift from my previous department...
IBM ThinkPad Laptop.T60
all the drivers such as fingerprint screen,webcam are all expired..upon using this Drive detective software...no office software..no battery.using power cord only.
any help? Cool

Wrong place fro this topic... start a new one and not in the shutter bug section, this is only for photography la. Mad
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Split and put it in the proper place...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vgsg.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:15 pm

IBM ThinkPad Laptop.T60
any help? Cool

Free? Generally when office give away their old equipment, they will remove the license software to be re-use on the new replacement.

As for "fingerprint and webcam, don't think so they are "expired" these are devices on the hardware, therefore you may want to go to IBM website, do a search for the T60 device drivers and reinstall back the drivers, that should "un-expired" the webcam. Make sure you have admin rights to do so.

Since it's a 15" notebook, I would not bother to upgrade the battery, first cost is high and second this notebook is a little tad to heavy to lug around, so to save some cost, just have it on the power cord and let it sit in one corner.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vgsg.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Admin wrote:
IBM ThinkPad Laptop.T60
any help? Cool

Free? Generally when office give away their old equipment, they will remove the license software to be re-use on the new replacement.

As for "fingerprint and webcam, don't think so they are "expired" these are devices on the hardware, therefore you may want to go to IBM website, do a search for the T60 device drivers and reinstall back the drivers, that should "un-expired" the webcam. Make sure you have admin rights to do so.

Since it's a 15" notebook, I would not bother to upgrade the battery, first cost is high and second this notebook is a little tad to heavy to lug around, so to save some cost, just have it on the power cord and let it sit in one corner.

firstly ..thanks mr aDmin to split the topic to independent post...
ya.. u r right...my IT manager might have removed all the license software...but he did keep the anti virus progm for me though..
likewise im hvg the current setup as u describe.juz plug the power cord...saw some third party batt of the shelves in SLS.might gave it a try someday if i intend to lug in ard in my haversack or to brO ikoN place for further improvement of the free lesson he did gave last time. lol! cheers
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:11 am

Laptop battery are not cheap, it can cost around $100++, so before you do invest in the battery, look at you options. Is the T60 good enough for you and are you willing to lug that extra weight about? New notebook with better specs can be had for less than 1K now, if you are a good shopper you can get for around $600 to $800 and these new notebook comes with complete software and etc.

Recently got myself a lenovo G470 with the 4 core i5 processor and upgraded RAM to 6GB with a 640GB harddisk drive and running the Win7 64 bits for about $800. The sales guy was good enuf to "upgrade" the free mouse to a Microsoft wireless mouse and also throws in the Windows Antivirus from Microsoft into the package, good thing about this AV, there is no annual renewal!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:39 pm

juz thinking of upgrading of what im currently having bro...its oways nice to have something new..not for Now bro...
by the way...u need tt kind of lappie specs coz u r in IT department...
we are eager to learn from u..
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 am

starstruck96 wrote:juz thinking of upgrading of what im currently having bro...its oways nice to have something new..not for Now bro...
by the way...u need tt kind of lappie specs coz u r in IT department...
we are eager to learn from u..

I'm not in "IT department......" Cool

My 2 cents worth, when upgrading you should always look at your ROI. There are other factors to consider,especially when it comes to IT product, the technological upgrade goes by the day and not years, therefore it's best not to spend money on old items, just use it and keep the money you intend to upgrade for future purchase. Example would be like when I got my notebook which is using an i5 processor, a couple of weeks later the i7 is the "in" thing. Price concern at the point of purchase there are other notebook with the same specs going for $1K plus, maybe with a little extra.

My whole mission was to keep the price down below $1K and I settle for my current setup, true enough a few days after I got this notebook, the spec becomes more or less obsolete. The pain is not so much due to the amount I spend, but if I had spend $1500 to $1900 on a notebook and only to find it "old dinosaur" a couple of weeks later then the pain would be more.

So when consider upgrading, especially for notebook, if you upgrade software your consideration would be between 32bit and 64bit, older model cannot support the 64bit, if you upgrade to 32bit software now, when you finally decide to move on to newer notebook, your software may be compatible but in terms of performance on the newer 64bit machine is limited. Battery upgrade is limited to particular model, so if you move on to new notebook in the future, your battery investment remain with the old machine. This is less about IT but more making good use of your finances.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:20 pm

thanks bro...for the advice.
yupz specs do chg by days...not months anymore.. Wink
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down