Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 35mm shooutout

2 posters

Go down

The 35mm shooutout Empty The 35mm shooutout

Post  Ikon Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Last night got a call from the Boss to "get ready for 35mm shootout tomorrow". I've been using the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 for almost a year now, have to say it's my least favorite lens, but the Boss just got his. The Boss has got a faster 35mm at f/1.8, should be a great performer under low lighting.

A fast lens is the least of my worries, I have difficulties framing the 35mm on the APS-C sensor which is equivalent to 52.5mm on the old 35mm film format or full frame. In close quarters something is a little bit frustrating when you want the width to be slightly wider. The shootout gives me the opportunity to try out where this lens would excel.

Initially the Boss wants to go back to Lor Halus wetland, but I don't quite warm up to the idea, shooting landscape is not much a challenge especially with the view there. We end up with the location still undecided until this morning where the Boss thought Changi Broadwalk would be the final destination, however I have my own idea and we end up at Arab Street vicinity...so will this lens work for street shoot? Tune in for the result.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

The 35mm shooutout Empty Re: The 35mm shooutout

Post  Ikon Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Ok here is the sample shots taken with my 35mm, for the sake of discussion all the images are not cropped and minimal post processing was done.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For the bigger picture, please click on the images. This lens will work indoor but be prepare to backup all the way to the wall, landscape wise it's not wide enough, but today's outing is telling me that this lens works well for close ups and you need to certainly use your head and imagination to get good result. Waiting for the Boss to put up his shots next.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:36 am

Here are my selection. Minimal post processing for a few of the shots. Mostly are untouched. I have my own thoughts on how best this lens work. It's a great lens for general photography, framing is something you need to be creative.I actually prefer this lens than the 50mm i got earlier. It's not convenient indoors but then i hv ny 16-85 to tackle those tight situations. Is this the lens for you? You have to be your own judge. One man's meat is another man's poison. Take a look and decide. Cheers..

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 am

Must say it has been a challenging morning and base on the result so far from both shooters, I must say that there is potential for the 35mm, it's more of the matter when you get the opportunity to use and the frequency of usage.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Here are more of the 35mm shots, but this time around it has been post process and to except cropping and etc.

Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 am

Two more, one is the original shot and the other is the crop after post processing.

Original shot with the bokeh background

Crop to emphasize on the black rose
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: