Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

skimming of disc break

4 posters

Go down

skimming of disc break Empty skimming of disc break

Post  starstruck96 Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Got quoted for skimming of brake disc for 36$ for per front side.2 pcs.
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

skimming of disc break Empty Re: skimming of disc break

Post  pussy_lover Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 pm

starstruck96 wrote:Got quoted for skimming of brake disc for 36$ for per front side.2 pcs.

Is this advisable? Or will it better to replace the damn thing. We spend $$$ on minor mods that supposedly "improve" performance but stinge on important ones like the brakes. Don't flame me it's just my opinion...

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 pm

pussy_lover wrote:
starstruck96 wrote:Got quoted for skimming of brake disc for 36$ for per front side.2 pcs.

Is this advisable? Or will it better to replace the damn thing. We spend $$$ on minor mods that supposedly "improve" performance but stinge on important ones like the brakes. Don't flame me it's just my opinion...

I tend to agree with your opinion, if the skimming cost about half the price of the stock rotors, I might just forget about the skiming and get a new one, there's lots of difference between a new rotor and a skim ones, just my two cents.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Ikon wrote:
pussy_lover wrote:

I tend to agree with your opinion, if the skimming cost about half the price of the stock rotors, I might just forget about the skiming and get a new one, there's lots of difference between a new rotor and a skim ones, just my two cents.

Been there, done that - replace front rotors, that is.. Very Happy

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Dun flame..its juz another option.new stock rotors from songyi cost 150 +-.if on budget or new disc warped its best to skimm rather den chg. .My two cents plak.new rotors pon warped at times.
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:42 am

starstruck96 wrote:Dun flame..its juz another option.new stock rotors from songyi cost 150 +-.if on budget or new disc warped its best to skimm rather den chg. .My two cents plak.new rotors pon warped at times.

Why do disc rotor warped? Especially a new one, there should not be a reason for warping. Perhaps you should also address that issue first, then go back to the where you purchase or install the new disc rotor and get it get changed, it's either they give you some inferior rotor or non QC passed product.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 am

maybe china made materials/quality mah...by the time shipped to spore due to chg of weather..it warp.juz another 1 1/2 cents opinion.
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 pm

starstruck96 wrote:maybe china made materials/quality mah...by the time shipped to spore due to chg of weather..it warp.juz another 1 1/2 cents opinion.

Ya, dun say like that, every metal things from China come here already warped? Normally warp on rotor is cause by wrong type of brake pads, you can check with bro P_L since he stated been there and done that!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Ikon wrote:
starstruck96 wrote:maybe china made materials/quality mah...by the time shipped to spore due to chg of weather..it warp.juz another 1 1/2 cents opinion.

Ya, dun say like that, every metal things from China come here already warped? Normally warp on rotor is cause by wrong type of brake pads, you can check with bro P_L since he stated been there and done that!

Yup got my rotors replaced cos it warped. My take is due to the brake pads used. Only lasted slightly 1 year after changing to that particular brand before finding our my rotors warped during on of the servicing. I didn't want to point fingers at the w/s for recommending the brand but am quite sure it's the cause. Option was to skim but decided to replace altogether. The new rotors and current pads worked well with no issues. Been more than 2 years with the new rotors, so far so good.
Whatever you decide skimming or replacing it's your decision best known only to you. Be safe..

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 pm

dis month topic is abt brakes eh?....lol.... Razz Very Happy Very Happy
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:03 am

stoned wrote:dis month topic is abt brakes eh?....lol.... Razz Very Happy Very Happy

Btw, change to your ceramic pads yet?

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm

not yet bro....maybe i wait till the present 1s worn out den change.....will get it checked dis saturday at hairi's.....
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down