Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography an addiction

4 posters

Go down

Photography an addiction Empty Photography an addiction

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:18 am

It been one and a half years since I got into DSLR...... within that short time period, I started off with an entry level DSLR and has since then move on to the next level by getting a semi pro body setup. Everyday I'm thinking of only what to get next in terms of lens setup and accessories and this addiction is really killing my finances. Mad

It's critical that once you are in DSLR, you maintain your focus (pun intended) otherwise you'll break all you bank account! It's an expensive learning curve, whereby you invest in expensive lenses only to discover that you don't like the perspective of what that lens has to offer. Just like my buddy, after a buying spree he declares that that will be the last and final setup, but the next time we met, he would talk about new equipment that catches his fancy Laughing

That's the fun in photography, I started up with the Pentax K-x, DAL 18-50mm and 55-300mm kit lenses, I also got myself a third party flash and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens. I have since then sold off all my equipment to fund the K-5 purchase. My current setup just include the body, the new 18-135mm WR lens and a prime 35mm f/2.4. Recently, I decided to try out manual focus and got myself an old Pentax A-50mm f/1.7 lens and a different kind of photography open up to me. My only gripe is that I'm not out there taking more photos Sad

So I'm going to be less bothered with the output of my camera, just want to go and shoot and hope that out of 100 photos taken, if I can get one or two good shots, that will be good enough for me, rather than to have my expensive equipment sitting in the dry cabinet, under utilize. I guess when you purchase something for more than $2k, it would be waste of investment if you are going to use it only occasionally.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Photography an addiction Empty Re: Photography an addiction

Post  pussy_lover Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:44 am

Well, what can i say... Been with this hobby donkey years and there's always new stuff to discover and experience. As for your buddy, i can understand where he's coming from. I discovered digital photography late and just beginning to appreciate it's versatility. The learning never ends.. Like you, i wish i can shoot more and indulge in my favourite portrait photography as that was what started me off in this hobby. As for lens and equipment, upgrading these are part and parcel of discovery. I'm currently contemplating another prime lens - the legendary Nikon AF24mm F2.8. Used this during my manual days and it was one of my most frequent used lens after the 35mm F2. On my current D90, it would be close to a 35mm lens. A new one is affordable as i haven't seen one on sale in the BNS section of Clubsnap. The latest release of this focal length is the AF28m F1.4 but it costs a whopping $2500! I'm just holding back this temptation but i'm quite sure i'll get the 24mm eventually (but the cheaper F2,Cool. Let's go out there and shoot more..

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 am

Bro, my buddy sounds familiar to you? Very Happy

How much is the 24mm f/2 going for? As for going out there to shoot, well I'll be starting that soon.., look out for the posting soon Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

maybe its time to join in for shoots lar...juz to revive my DSLR usage..
im longing for tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
sources say prices in HK are way much cheaper with international warranty.
thought of heading there as prices diff goes up to $100-$300 lesser compare to SG prices.
one lens n one flash is suffice for the intended trip. Cool
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm

starstruck96 wrote:maybe its time to join in for shoots lar...juz to revive my DSLR usage..
im longing for tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
sources say prices in HK are way much cheaper with international warranty.
thought of heading there as prices diff goes up to $100-$300 lesser compare to SG prices.
one lens n one flash is suffice for the intended trip. Cool

It's cheaper but I maybe within the range of $100 or so depending on what you are getting, but it's best to check out the warranty if they will be honored here otherwise the money save initially will convert to a loss if you have to sent it back via DHL for repair.

If you happen to be HK, ya it alright to get it there but if you purposely spent money on air tickets just to get the parts there... then you better take orders from the others to compensate for the trip Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:57 pm

nah juz drop by for short trip...still working out the details .. Smile
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Ikon wrote:Bro, my buddy sounds familiar to you? Very Happy

How much is the 24mm f/2 going for? As for going out there to shoot, well I'll be starting that soon.., look out for the posting soon Laughing

Think i know your buddy pretty well.. cheers

The 24mm F2.8 going for SGD485 (grey set from DDE). I'm still checking the local retail price. Nikon Singapore listed price is SGD769. The new 24mm F1.4 is going for a whopping SGD2950. I'll be happy to get the F2.8 version as pockets not so deep lah.

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Whoa 3 price range for 1 product! Very Happy The ultra fast f/1.4 is a rich man toy, maybe wait for 2nd hand item to surface then it will become more affordable. Laughing The grey set is certainly cheers
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:25 pm

remember i brought T90 20 years back using vivitar 28mm to 105mm with TTL flash from canon.....it cost me around 2k....use that for earning money through SPH when young and some wedding / events shoot to recovered my cost..... had brought russia lens of 85mm f/1.8 cost me $350.....now using 60D canon with IS18mm to 200mm.....will not get more lens as it would be sufficent enough for time being.....

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Captivian_Major wrote:remember i brought T90 20 years back using vivitar 28mm to 105mm with TTL flash from canon.....it cost me around 2k....use that for earning money through SPH when young and some wedding / events shoot to recovered my cost..... had brought russia lens of 85mm f/1.8 cost me $350.....now using 60D canon with IS18mm to 200mm.....will not get more lens as it would be sufficent enough for time being.....

Wah I tot you buy the Russian Tank T90 Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 pm

that from Japan directly not Russia la.....but if haapen to go HK trip, remember to buy their photo equipments, it cheaper than singapore 30%....just remember to get the international warranty from the dealer.......it recongise in singapore.....

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:00 am

The addiction gets stronger, another poison to swallow and hopefully I get my return of investment:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In full glory and as usual, the thumbnail if the above don't appear:-

No points for guessing what this is, all I can tell you it's call a Black Widow, as in the spider and not somebody's wife. Laughing
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Ikon wrote:The addiction gets stronger, another poison to swallow and hopefully I get my return of investment:-

In full glory and as usual, the thumbnail if the above don't appear:-

No points for guessing what this is, all I can tell you it's call a Black Widow, as in the spider and not somebody's wife. Laughing

It's a belt holster. So how much for this poison?

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Don't ask the price first bro, read my review [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the product then ask if it's worth it or not Very Happy Obviously this won't be cheap!
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down