Virtual Garage - SG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres discussing thread

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tyres discussing thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Tyres discussing thread

Post  pussy_lover Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:53 pm

You guys should check out the tyre shop at Circuit Link off Paya Lebar Rd opposite the Police station. Me went ther with bro BoW and prices are reasonable. The Goodyear LS2000 i was eyeing going for $120 (i think)i got a quote of $145 from a tyre shop along Upper Thomson. They also have the Federal 595 EVO but can remember the price. Think it was $103 for the 16" rubbers. Also lots or rims, new and used. Please note i have no share in that company, just sharing a lobang. And please read up on the tyre info from the sidewall. Tells a lot on the tyres like treadwear, manufacturing date, profile, load index etc..

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 am

starstruck96 wrote:about the pricing...im not sure...roughly looking @ $75-$80 for size 15
17 inch would be ard $100-$110 per piece??maybe...
go check it out @ Automotive Technology situated @ International Road off Taman Jurong residential area.
erghhh...not someone arh who own car n bike simutaneously..two a company now..hahahaha.. Laughing Cool
brO DEx21, where in JB u do balancing n rotating??how much..got chamber toe alignment servies not??
share share lar...!!duHhhhHHhHhh.. Suspect
Like a Star @ heaven struck96

If $75-80... confirm cant get brands like michelin,bridgestone,goodyear or yoko....

I did for RM20, but no alignment, if include alignment, was quoted RM50.... Duno abt chamber toe.... i also duno wat is that.... haha.... i newbie....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 am

BoW wrote:That's less than a SGD100... BTW the PP2 they offer make sure it's current stock and not made in Malaysia rubber ...meow cat

Yup... Its very cheap.... But duno can be trusted anot.....

When i was there, they have stock for 195/55/R15 but i need 195/50/R15, so have to give them a call before going down for them to bring in the size i want.... was told its made in thailand....

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

heyhey...im still using 2nd hand tyres with 95% thread......it save me alot..... Razz

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:46 am

heyhey...im still using 2nd hand tyres with 95% thread......it save me alot..... Razz

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Captivian_Major wrote:heyhey...im still using 2nd hand tyres with 95% thread......it save me alot..... Razz

Wat brand and how much?

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm

dex21 wrote:
Captivian_Major wrote:heyhey...im still using 2nd hand tyres with 95% thread......it save me alot..... Razz

Wat brand and how much?

$85 incld installationa and wheel balancing.....for 18 inches brand is Pirelli Scorpion Zero 235/60R18

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Damn cheap for Pirelli..... Shocked This one your lobang at old Tampines Road ?
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Captivian_Major Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 pm

BoW wrote:Damn cheap for Pirelli..... Shocked This one your lobang at old Tampines Road ?

yup.... Smile

Captivian_Major
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Guys... any of u heard of kumho KU31??? Care to review if heard of?

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:07 pm

kumHO??AVEO stock original size 14'' tyres..hahahaha Shocked tongue
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Tyres discussing thread - Page 2 Empty Silica in tyres

Post  Ikon Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Since we are on this topic and there is no posting for so long, maybe I can inject with some insight of tyre technology:-

Green Tyres, Fuel Saver Tyres, Low-Rolling Resistance Tyres - They are all basically the same thing and refer to the performance advantages gained by adding silica to the tread compound of tyres, the key advantage of which is the ability to reduce fuel consumption whilst maintaining performance critical qualities such as wet grip. Tyres incorporating silica have been on the market for well over a decade now although silica has really only become widely incorporated into tyre design strategies within the last few years or so.Although the use of silica is now widespread, its use by pioneers such as Michelin in the Michelin Energy and Continental in the ContiEcoContact CP and EP tyres was considered to be a true breakthrough in tyre technology. But why are low rolling-resistance tyres so revolutionary in their design and what benefits do they offer the consumer?

Solving the Compromise

A major problem facing tyre designers has traditionally been solving the compromise between low rolling resistance and wet grip. Rolling resistance is the amount of energy a tyre absorbs as it revolves and deflects. The lower the rolling resistance the less fuel is required to propel the vehicle forward. Lowering the rolling resistance, however, has traditionally meant a reduction in wet grip performance, which of course is unacceptable.

This problem has been solved by the replacement of certain quantities of carbon black with silica in the tyre's tread compound which has enabled manufacturers to produce tyres which provide improved wet skid properties, better winter performance and lower rolling resistance all at the same time.

The Technology Explained

The reason why this technology has been considered to be so revolutionary is best described as follows;

Grip is affected by the degree to which a tyre is distorted at high frequencies - in other words the degree to which it hits small stones and unevenness in the road surface. Grip is also best served by rubber compounds which absorb high levels of energy (high hysteresis compounds).

Rolling resistance, on the other hand, is affected by low frequency distortion - the deflection of the tyre as it revolves. It also requires compounds which absorb low quantities of energy (low hysteresis compounds). This contrast is why it has been impossible in the past to provide tyres which both reduce rolling resistance and increase wet grip.

With the addition of silica, however, tyre engineers have been able to produce compounds which are high hysteresis at high frequencies but low hysteresis at low frequencies.

Benefits to the User

That's nothing to sneeze at, and when put together should add relief to everyone's savings accounts.

The use of silica can result in a reduction in rolling resistance of 20% and more. Assuming correct tyre pressures are maintained and making allowances for varying speeds and different driving characteristics, a 20% reduction in rolling resistance equates to a 5% fuel saving, which, according to Michelin in their promotion of the Michelin Energy, can save the average motorist £65.00 a year, covering the cost of the tyres over the life of the tyres.

The use of silica can also improve wet skid performance. By incorporating silica in their winter tyre range, Vredestein claim to have improved wet skid performance by as much as 15%, substantially improving braking distances at the same time.

Silica also provides substantial benefits in winter tyres and all-season tyres. Compounds using silica are more elastic and flexible at lower temperatures allowing better grip and braking during wintry weather.

Read this interesting topic and perhaps this will explain why some tyres are great performer in the wet.

This article also can be found here

So next time you guys go tyre shopping, take a look at the compound as well.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  pussy_lover Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Interesting read...
Problem is there is no way of knowing (by inspection) if the tyres have silica compound. You would need to read about the tyres you want to buy first and not make "educated" guess. In this instance, Falken ZE912 ain't that bad for 16" profile. Bro BoW would know what i mean.. Very Happy

pussy_lover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 pm

pussy_lover wrote:Interesting read...
Problem is there is no way of knowing (by inspection) if the tyres have silica compound. You would need to read about the tyres you want to buy first and not make "educated" guess. In this instance, Falken ZE912 ain't that bad for 16" profile. Bro BoW would know what i mean.. Very Happy

scratch scratch

Seriously, how would you know if silica is in the compound?

Applied wholly or partially as a substitute for carbon black, silica compound is to enhance performance in handling, heat build-up and mileage Tyres discussing thread - Page 2 Icon_expo_04 or we should be looking at somethingl like this when reading the tyre label before purchasing it.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  stoned Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:16 pm

so far never saw dat logo on any tires here when i'm at tire shop....but i maybe wrong....couldn;t notice it...
stoned
stoned
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikon Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 pm

stoned wrote:so far never saw dat logo on any tires here when i'm at tire shop....but i maybe wrong....couldn;t notice it...

The label I'm referring to is those sticker type that they paste on the tire, anyway rest assure that at least 90% of all tires nowadays has got silica compound. The other metjhod is as usual, to check out the tyre that you want to buy on the internet for the specs, they should list the compound and you know for sure la.
Ikon
Ikon

Back to top Go down

Post  starstruck96 Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 pm

got multi colourd tyres not ..?
@ the present technology of tyres now,most have silica inducing agents in the tyre properties..
look @ bike tyres for an instance,the manufacture incoporated two sometimes three different compund on per tyre..
medium hard on the centre,medium soft on the sidewalls..
either sides (left or right) have different properties to play with..
for those MotoGP lagi best..
BOTAK on all sides.. What a Face Cool bounce lol!
starstruck96
starstruck96
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2